Tuesday 21 June 2011

100 posts and a midsummer mousse...

I can't believe that this is my 100th post. Like everyone who gets to this point I'm taken aback by what started as a way of letting a few old friends know what we were up to and what has become a part of my life - the blog! Over the past 100 blogs my attention has wandered , my interests have been diverse and at times I've wondered if i would ever get round to blogging again - you know how real life can get in the way of the things you really want to do! One thing has remained the same though - writing this online diary of the stuff we do has made me remember, think about and focus on...the stuff we do, obvious really, but our freerangelives are so busy every day that the plantgrowing, cakemaking, childrenblossoming stuff that happens all the time can get forgotten in the midst of all our rushing around and if bloggin has done one thing for me its to make me take notice of the lovely stuff, so heres to plenty more!

Enough already! Ive written 100 blogs and am just pretty pleased with it, so heres a recipe to celebrate...

Blackcurrant Mousse

I chose this especially as weve just had our best crop of blackcurrants ever, and we got to them before the blackbirds...its also the nicest mousse ive ever had, not too sweet, not too sharp and super light...

250g Blackcurrants
50g caster sugar
2tsp lemon juice
2tsp gelatine
125ml double cream
2 egg whites

Rub the blackcurrants through a sive, then make up the puree to 150ml with water

Combine the puree, sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Place 2tsp water in a small heatproof bowl and sprinke the gelatine on to the liquid. Set aside for 15 mins until the mixture feels spongy. Stand the bowl over a saucepan until it ahs dissolved completely. Cool slightly

Fold a little bit of the blackcurrant puree into the cooled gelatine, then whisk this mixture into the bowl of blackcurrant puree. Leave in a cool plce until the mixture starts to set.

In a deep bolw, whip the cream until it holds its shape, then fold in the blackcurrant mixture with a metal spoon. Whisk the eggwhites in a grease free bowl, just as you would for meringues, and then fold in. Mix it up thoroughly but dont overmix!

The whole thing can then be poured into a glass dish, a wetted mould or individual glasses. Refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours until set, turn out, decorate and your good to go...

Happy Summer Solstice everyone...

15 comments:

  1. Awww congrats on your 100 posts! You're right - what a lovely way to celebrate all the good things in life!
    Your blackcurrant crop looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! As a beginner at this blogging lark I can only aspire to 100 posts. You must be pleased as punch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PDNFTA (quite a title!) - Thankyou, iam really pleased with the blackcurrants too, last year the birds ate them between me lifting the netting and getting the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth - thankyou, you'll get there too - promise :) thanks for your lovely comments x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stuff hun Blogging is a strange form yet it brings about its own rewards - like lovely people like you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs N - Aww shucks, thats very kind of you and totally reciprocated x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for reaching the magic 100! Love that mousse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, and perfect for a long summer day! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 100 posts. Here's to 100 more!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so gorgeous - I've be reluctant to try growing raspberries because I'm convinced it is too hot here - but there is nothing to stop me buying them from the store....

    Congrats on 100 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. E,you are an absolute marvel the way that you keep all the plates spinning, make gorgeous mousses AND write a blog about it all. Congratulations on 100 scrumptious posts.

    Here's to the next 100. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your 100th post. Heres to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That mousse just looks delicious!

    Congratulations on you 100th post, I've a way to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your 100th post, keep up the good works!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on 100 posts and i wish I had blackberries growing to make this, it has been a cold wet winter and I am looking forward to Spring
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

I lovelovelove your comments and I read everyone. I might not always get round to replying but I will try my best to...girlguide promise x