Thursday 23 December 2010

Our Lapland adventure...

Yes, many of you guessed it... our surprise was a visit to Lapland to meet the big man, Father Christmas himself. We managed to keep it a complete secret from the children until we were queuing at the airport. I don't know how we kept it a secret for so long and it was quite a relief to finally tell them. Thank you everyone who wished us luck getting there... we were delayed at Manchester for quite some time due to ...snow of course! But we did eventually take off and arrive safely in the land of more snow... and boy was it cold!

When we finally arrived at Father Christmas's hideaway it was very dark even though it was only late afternoon. Thankfully we were well wrapped up as it was minus 29 degrees Celsius - no wonder Santa has been working the wool and fur look for so long, if it keeps him warm then stick with it I say!


This was the home of one of his helpers...


These guys didn't seem bothered by the cold, they were just building up there strength for Friday night!


We stopped for a refuel and warm up before heading to see you know who...

 Bionic and Freerangenan got thawed out...
 this Freeranger didn't stop smiling all day, it took her brother a while longer...I think he's had enough snow for now!
Even the Elves and Helpers had there outfits hanging up to warm up!

But finally we made it...we really met him...

he read our letters and amazed the kids when he knew their names. I confess that I am right next to the littlest Freeranger in this picture and according to my family looked as though I might leap on his knee at any second!


He did promise he would come on see us very soon as long as we left him a mince pie and some thing to warm him up - I'm not surprised he gets through all those drinks on Christmas eve, he needs something to see him through another year in the snow!

We eventually got back to Yorkshire, driving through more snow, with very tired children, grandparents and grown ups - to find even more snow ( I think we brought it back on the plane!), so its only fitting that this is our Dec of the day...


because after all, home is where the heart is...

15 comments:

  1. What an adventure! I had no idea one could go to lapland to visit Santa. He is truely amazing.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic day, something you will all remember for many years. Have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you didn't embarrass Santa by jumping on his knee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh... so lovely... and Santa looks so authentic which is really a bonus... I mean I know he's the real deal but y'know some of his lookalikes can be a bit crap... oh god I hope you're kids dont read this... am I digging myself a hole?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delighted you had such a great time and also that you managed to make it home OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you all had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic. A Christmas that none of you will ever forget. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous trip - and how magical for the kids - memories to treasure for ever...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic day, something your kids will remember always. Glad you had such a super time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since reading your previous post I have been thinking about you all - hoping you managed to get there and return home safely - due to the snow! So glad you have had a great time - truly an awesome adventure eh? Have a great Christmas. Lots of love, Denise & family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popping over to see everything os OK - guess you are busy back at school? Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that looks such fun. I just found you via Mrs Nesbitts site. Lovely blog.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    THOUGHT TO INVITE YOU TO 3 LOVELY GIVE-AWAYS THAT I HAVE GOING ON MY BLOG!
    I WOULD REALLY APPRECCIATE IF YOU WERE TO ENTER.
    AND MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!

    DEBBIE MOSS

    ReplyDelete

I lovelovelove your comments and I read everyone. I might not always get round to replying but I will try my best to...girlguide promise x