Sunday 13 June 2010

Our edible garden...

Its full steam ahead on the plot at them moment as the week of rain has got things bursting out all over - particularly the weeds! We've moved on a bit since our first two raised beds. But more growing space does mean more weeding!



Weve moved on from the early days of tomatoes and potatoes and the current growing list includes globe artichokes, figs, blueberries, black currants, gooseberries, rhubarb, swiss chard, kale, sprouts, cabbage, purple sprouting brocolli, radishes, lettuces, broad beans, peas, beans, onions, garlic, rocket, pak choi, butternut squash, winter squash, cucumbers, peppers, strawberries, raspberries, damsons, apples, far too many courgettes, beetroots and of course - tomatoes and potatoes.

So you can see why the growing space is ever expanding!



If its not planted up, there will no doubt be another courgette planted in it by the end of the week! My plan was to grow loads of them to make pasta sauces which we could freeze. I am starting to wonder if weve over done it - just how many courgettes can one family eat!

The chickens have their home on the plot. We bought their house on ebay and BH built the pen. The door is actually our old baby gate reworked - genius or what?



We recently scrapped some very rotten old coldframes and cleared a space between the green houses. This needs some serious tidying but in the meantime its become the perfect place for a spot of supervising.



Last year BH presented with me the most romantic gift a girl could ask for - hand built compost boxes - I swear that man knows the direct route to my heart... We took the covers off them in February and found that all those slimy peelings and cuttings had turned into the most awesome soil. It really is magic!

However this popped out of the heap today...





Its a 'Grow Your Own Grandpa'!!!

4 comments:

  1. Growing space I envy. Oh how I envy your edible garden. I really am happy to learn that this growing place is a new space of yours and I wish you many happy days there. As well as good food.

    The hand bult wooden compost bins blend well in the environemnt too and what a thoughtful gift. Now that is true love.

    And finally, I had to look closely at that flying hat/cap, then I saw a 'Grandpa'. Thats a wicked photo shot. Made me laught out loud, I had to call my husband over to show him. He too was amused.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much - im totally over the moon to have a comment. I love your blog by the way - great recipes and cypriot food too - yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grow your own Grandpa was probably the highlight of the day lol, you don't get much more in the way of Surrealism. If you're too over-run with Courgettes you can always off load some our way. I'd grow my own, but alas, no garden :(
    Can't wait for next bloggety blog.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the grow you own grandpa too!

    Everything is looking very good in the raised beds.

    ReplyDelete

I lovelovelove your comments and I read everyone. I might not always get round to replying but I will try my best to...girlguide promise x